October 20, 2011

Be Where You Are- Not Rachael Ray

It's Here!!! By various demands, I have given into blogging. Who knows how long I'll be able to keep up with it but here it goes!
Through the course of life, I have recently been going for it. What is it? Everything. Everything that I said "I will/want/need/should/could/etc. do when..."

I will lose weight before it gets out of hand.
  I want to build my own furniture for my future dream house.
   I should cook more often and get better at it.
    I could make my own decorations and make my home look cozy 24/7.
     I need to put more effort in my daily appearance particularly at work.
       I wish I could be more productive.

Somewhere early last September I finally woke up and embraced "There's no time like the present." I'm not getting any thinner. I'm not getting any richer. I'm not getting any less busy. I'm not getting any younger. And I'm certainly not following my personal credence of  "Get shit done" while sitting on my ass mastering every moderate killer sudoku online.

I don't know what got me to wake up and smell reality, but here we are.

It's tough making yourself do all the coulda/shoulda/wouldas. For years I thought that starting slow and gradually adding each one into a routine would work. But it never did. I've started countless journals/diaries/pen pals/notes over the years and I could not tell you where a single one is right now. I've started menus that could cover a month and buy food that could feed an army but all of it would go to the wayside by Tuesday and I'd return to the same tiring meals of noodles+sauce or cereal. I've made mental notes to remember something I saw so that I could try to reproduce it in 10 years when I have money, time, energy. Ok, Lauren, where will all of that come from?

Moral of the story is, I've flooded myself with every shoulda/coulda/woulda in reason and I'm treading much better than I would have if this was actual water. Hell, on my stovetop right now is some red sauce (note: NOT my standard meat sauce from a jar) simmering and some roasted pork cooling. Were these items supposed to be made Monday? Yes. Are both dishes supposed to have wine in them? Yes. Do they? No, I hate wine. But I made them anyway? Sure did!

My mom sent me a Rachael Ray (or Everyday Magazine, what-the-hell-ever, it's Rachael Ray in magazine form, that's the point) and to be honest, I was pretty bummed it wasn't my homegirl Paula Deen or the Food Network Magazine which I perceived as being much more applicable to my tastebuds (Rachael Ray is strung out on Extra Virgin Olive Oil-which she has coined as EVOO-, smoked paprika, and spicy foods). But then I got the hell over it and opened the thing. I read more and got more out of it than I had in the last year of Cosmo. Shocking. I never thought the day would come when I would find Cosmo boring- every other page is sex, booze, and gender-stereotypical nonsense sprinkled with period and makeup talk!

One article got me really stoked- cook one day and eat for a month. Shit. I can cook for a day! AND eat for a month! This was an awesome plan... a $200+ plan. Ouch. One thing I have learned in my new carpe diem lifestyle- money is a harsh enforcer for me. I'm currently dropping 45 bucks a month for a gym that I attend only about 5 days a week- that's more than $2 every time I walk in! But I've gone every day I have planned to or have made it up another day (except this week due to health stuff, but that's for another post). Now I have dropped the dough and I need to go Martha Stew- eh, Rachael Ray on this bitch!

Fun facts about this stellar plan that will never. happen. again.:
  • The meals are for 4-person families. This means that I'm paying for, cooking, storing, and eating food out the yin-yang.
  • The magazine assumes that a 4-person family would, naturally, live in a 4-person home with a 4-person kitchen containing 4-person cooking supplies. Being a 1-person with a studio and 2 square feet of counter space and a small oven and mainly kitchenware stolen from my parents, naturally, I cannot power through these shenanigans like R-squared even if I vaguely had her skills.
  •  Simultaneous cooking can be done if the aforementioned 4 people, kitchen, supplies, skills are available. Not having any of these, simultaneous cooking does not happen.
Essentially, 1 day of cooking has turned into 1 week of cooking and I curse the RayRay about every 5 seconds.

So here's to being where you are! Be in the moment even if that involves sweating like a pig in front of hotties in the gym, splattering red sauce all over your kitchen (which is approx. 1/5 of your apartment), ending the day wondering where you'll be in a year and what you forgot to do today. Take it for what it's worth and search for the silver lining that may be hideously tarnished.

How did I not find a picture of the Ray with her precious EVOO?
But this picture is just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment