August 7, 2012

She Decided She Was Going to Have a Bad Time and You Know What? She Did.

For those of you coming from Facebook, that is a repeat title but here I can explain it-

Wait, can we have a moment to recognize that I'm back on top of this blogging thing?

Did we get it? Have we truly embraced this moment?


Ok, super.

Anyway, this weekend was the last big blow-out my classmates have been planning for weeks. And soon as plans got nailed into place it was clear we were going to Silk City. Now, our group hasn't found a really good bar since Paradigm got shut down for alcohol violations (R.I.P), but Silk City is up there on the list of clubs I have not been remotely impressed with.

First, it's half a fifties diner; and as I explained to my mom- you cannot sell the best milkshakes in Philadelphia and also be a good night club. Just not possible. Second, we went there three times previously and each time they started the night out with top 40 of the last 5 years. I'm not crazy about this music but, hey, it's a club- I walk in expecting that. Then, somewhere around 11pm (which is when things pick up), they started to play Spice Girls... then N'SYNC... then Blink 182... Ok, blast from the past music is ok for a few songs or even dispersed throughout the night but THREE HOURS LATER, nostalgia time is over- time to replay the shit played earlier. Following 90s pop with douche-bag White frat guy music is also not acceptable. For those who do not know what douche-bag White frat guy music is, it's essentially classics that are played to be seen as "unique" or "different" except it's the same "unique", "different" shit played by every other DJ in the city. This would include "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", "Build Me Up Buttercup," "Billy Jean," and a Jackson 5 song, usually "ABC"- again, epic songs but after hearing it for the 10th time in a club, especially after hearing N'SYNC (which I didn't even listen to when it was cool), it's not cute. It's not unique. Stop it. To top it all off, everyone in the group would agree that the music sucked and blew and we wouldn't go back again. But they were drunk. So, naturally, when the place would get suggested again I'd get pissed exclaiming how we ALL thought the music sucked! And none of them would remember. Um, hello, you were blackout drunk. I'm telling you, as the only person with a fully intact memory that you did not like that place.

But I digress. I was complaining to my mom how this was the chosen place by the group and I was pissed. And of course, being a mom, my mom reminded me that if I decide I'm going to have a bad time, I'm going to have a bad time. She even texted me this family joke while I was walking out with my friends to start on our day-long adventuring on Saturday afternoon. I had to laugh aloud and my friends asked about it, to which I relayed the following story which created this family joke:
When my grandmother (Suzanne) was in her late teens, her parents paid for her to go on an epic trip to visit family in San Diego during the summer. Being stubborn (I know that doesn't sound anything like someone you know), my grandmother was convinced the trip would suck and she didn't want to go. Afterward, my great-grandmother described the trip to others, "Beautiful trip! Wonderful trip! Anybody would have loved it. But Suzie decided she wasn't going to have a good time. And you know what? She didn't."
I concluded the story saying how I try to make the most out of anything. Because if you decide you're going to have a bad time- you will. Nobody is going to have a good time for your ass so you might as well do the work.

Having said that, I had a wonderful weekend. Silk City played pretty good music (I was very surprised) but was hotter than a gnat's snatch on the equator! Like, my God, we walked outside and it felt like a refreshing Fall day in comparison. It was hotter than Satan's armpits. Shit. was. HOT.

BUT I HAD FUN! And crossed something off my bucket list (see previous post)!
  • Have one last blow-out with the dorks I call colleagues

Done! And this weekend I'm hoping to go out again (yup, pushing back that moving even further) and knock off the Rocky steps, the Love Sign, Brau Haus, and Reading Terminal Market. It'll be sweettt!

AND, AND, AND, PLUS, PLUS!

I'm working on other stuff on the list too! I'm working through the textbook (even though this weekend's shenanigans set me back a bit), work through the focusing problems (I had an epic conversation with my supervisor about it- for a later post), design a piece of furniture (it's going to be a French credenza/pie safe combo which sounds bad now but it looks awesome... in my head), I've established a last meal schedule for my final weeks (minor detail I did it to buy the exact food I needed and to cook everything so I can move back the cooking supplies), been going to the gym (to work on that weight situation which I'm trying to not let bug me in all the fun beach pictures we took on Sunday), and as far as having a strong relationship with an awesome man...

I LOVE the movie PS I Love You. If Gerard Butler's character were real, I'd be all over that. Besides the obvious sexiness (particularly in the arm area), I love how he's funny, patient, says the sweetest things (we'll ignore that it was scripted), has a good time, is ambitious, has a hobby (singing and guitar), and can calm the neurotic Hilary Swank chick ridiculously quickly... because Lord knows I need that!

Probably shouldn't go for an Irishman though, being as I'm mostly English and Scottish... BUT I have a template. Now if building a man were as easy as building a French credenza/pie safe, we'd be in business.

Yea, reusing this picture since I wasn't sure about posting pictures with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment