September 6, 2012

Dances With Boxes

Greetings from Virginia!

I moved backed into the parental's place on the 23rd. I'm not thrilled about it but I'm looking forward to some of the things I have planned (be where you are, people!).

Last Monday and Tuesday were nuts as I scrambled to finish paperwork for my internship and get ready for the final day on Wednesday. On Monday or Tuesday I got a lovely email from La Salle informing me that I had not paid my tuition for Summer semester. And since I have been able to see the bill since April, they slapped me with a fine. Oh, and since I attended classes with overdue payments, I got slapped with another fine. Since this past week has been so hectic I thought "Hell, this has been here for months- what's another week" and I am currently enrolled in two different schools- earning my masters and doctorate at the same time.

And to be honest, I wasn't even all that upset. La Salle has pretty much become the herpes of my life. One week into the program, I found out that Widener had a human sexuality program including a masters- that moment you realized you've made a bad life choice that you will now have to live with. Fast forward almost two years when I walked in the graduation ceremony (done the first time) but then returned to class the next week. The week after Memorial Day, I completed the rest of my mandatory work (done the second time) but still had a lot of work in my elective. Mid-July,  finished all my work (done a third time) but still had to go to classes. Beginning of August, I finished my classes (done again?!) but still had internship. Two weeks later, I submitted my paperwork (and again) but still had to finish out the required 50 weeks. Now I have finished internship, my classes, all paperwork, and have moved and yet I'm not done with La Salle. Fucking life herpes.

Meanwhile, my online course for my doctorate started on the 14th... which I didn't know until the 17th (oops! Off to a fabulous start). Luckily, the teacher didn't send the syllabus via email until the 15th and the course involves just checking in online in your free time so no one at Widener knows that I totally was not paying attention the first few days of class. So don't tell anybody. I finished ordering my books and, go figure, the one I absolutely need has not been sent out yet. Just. Fabulous. Meanwhile I've gotten some other books in like the Encyclopedia of Unusual Sexual Practices. They have a name for everything! Like sexual arousal to trees. Trees, huh? I guess that's where the term "tree huggers" came from...

And through all of this, I finished my internship. Like, I'm done, done. I finished most of the paperwork and left less than an hours-worth of work for my supervisor. At least I think/hope... Which was a huge goal for me since the last few interns that had left, two left tons of work for our supervisor and the third had to come in multiple days to get it all done. I wanted it done last Wednesday, no return, no leaving things behind. I ran around busy all day, even overcoming my focusing issues (you know I was busy if I could do that!). I worked even 10 minutes after we closed. Chances are, I could have managed my time somewhat better and gotten every little thing accomplished before we closed but I would've missed out on saying goodbye to wonderful people.

I really assumed that I was an intern and I was just "that crazy intern who will temporarily be working here" for my cohorts. During my last day, I had a handful of people whom went out of their way to approach me and provide card congratulating me, little gifts, and kind words. I was really touched especially those that encouraged me to reach out to them as references, if needed. It was very sweet and I greatly appreciate the fact that I was able to work with such fabulous people as a lowly intern!

Beyond these precious moments, Wednesday was terrible as I sat in traffic to and from internship and then came home to find that my Internet had been shut off prematurely. Oh wait, then my phone dropped the call when I was on hold. There may have been two minutes there where I sat on the bare floor of my apartment and cried because I was so stressed and tired...

Thursday morning was the big move and I fit everything into my car with some serious box shuffling. It's like Tetris but worse since some boxes have fragile things and others cannot be closed... and sometimes vaccuum cleaner attachments attack you.

And down in Virginia, the box shuffling continues. I'm almost done with Dad's Area and most of my time now consists of wondering how I can keep moving. It's infuriating because in order to pack all this crap on the pool table and in my bedroom, I need to move furniture A; to move A, I need to move furniture B; to move B, I need to move furniture C which is behind furniture D; to move furniture D, I need to move furniture A. Let's not forget that boxes, clothing, stuffed lions are all in front of/on top/weighing down/in the way of all these pieces of furniture.

I have become Dances with Boxes. I'd put another Kevin Costner reference here but I honestly haven't seen that movie in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment