September 18, 2012

Sorry and Other Things That Matter

I'm taking a break from Bucket List updating because, well... because I haven't done shit. That's the long and short of it. I haven't gone to the gym, I didn't finish that horrible book for school, I have no job (consulting or otherwise), I. Haven't. Done. Shit.

Except working on the basement and attending my first weekend class which are respectively not interesting enough updates to warrant a post and does deserve it's own post which is brewing (a.k.a. I don't feel like writing it and it most likely will not get written until months later when I think "Oh shit! That's right...")

No, we're talking about philosophical life shit that matters today, people.

I just saw the movie "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World". It's a funny movie with a wide range of humor and a cute ending and cute puppy. Go see it. It will prompt you to have deep thought-provoking blog posts. Steve Carrell stars as an insurance salesman who has planned everything out with a safety net his whole life. The movie opens with him and his wife in the car on the side of the road, listening to an extremely urgent message- a meteor is set to collide with the Earth in 21 days, ending all of life as we know and don't know it. At the end of the announcement, Steve Carrell continues to stare ahead, aghast, muttering, "I think we missed our exit." He and his wife look at each other, she opens her door, and sprints off into the night, never to be seen again. The movie continues as you watch Steve and everyone else handling the news in their own way. Steve, naturally, takes the middle-aged, meek, White man comedic turn of drinking Windex and passing out in a park. When he awakes, someone has tied an adorable mutt to him and left a note on Steve's chest reading, "Sorry." Steve takes Sorry home and feeds him chicken pot pie while comforting his neighbor played by Kiera Knightley (I really don't care if I'm misspelling these names- it's not the point). Anyway, the majority of the movie is Kiera and Steve trekking across the northeast (with Sorry, of course) in search of Steve's high school sweetheart whom dumped him ages ago.

After the movie, the friend I went with asked what would I do if the world was ending in 21 days. My only answer was, "Get a dog."

And after further contemplation, that is honestly my only answer. I mean, I would like to get everything on my bucket list accomplished and build my dream house and build most of the furniture but I only have 21 days.

The point of being a sex therapist and studying BDSM was to help people.

The point of losing 10 pounds was to look better and be healthier for when I'm older and it would be more difficult to change my habits.

The point of getting a consulting gig was to prevent burnout which isn't going to happen since I a) don't currently have a job and b) am having my career cut short with the world ending and all.

All my goals are a means to make my life more enjoyable while I'm on this planet. Finding the man of my dreams and having that person there for the end of existence would be nice but since I clearly have no means of finding that person, I doubt my odds would vastly improve in the final 21 days of the Earth's existence.

Then there's also the upsetting realization that if I found that person, I cannot spend a lifetime with them. It would be like a cosmic tease that would, in the grand scheme of things, really suck.

One day, little furry friend.
But a dog? A dog has no fucking a clue a meteor is coming. All it knows is that you came into it's life and it was good. You can be there for each other and make each others' final days a little bit brighter. I would die knowing that I made Sorry (because, of course, I'd name him that) happier by being overly loving and affectionate for a few intense weeks all while getting to savor every last moment with a complete and total wrinkly dope who just wags his tail at my presence. I would adopt my dream Shar Pei from a local group and take him to all the places I loved over the years and all the people I care about and then we would end on Cove Point Beach, playing in the surf like we have nothing better to do.

Because, in the end, there is nothing better to do. There is nothing else on this Earth but to love and be loved. All the goals you "ran out of time for" or couldn't do were for your comfort, for your life. But as the external condition of time draws to a close, the only matter lies in the moments you share with others.

But the world isn't ending in 21 days. I'm still going to be a sex therapist and build a house, fix this basement, and maybe find a job. Everything else is within and between the times we plan which is why I try to always remember to be where I am.

And hopefully in a couple years, where I am will be Shar Pei-friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment