January 19, 2012

Social Dumbworking: Technology Breeds Boobery

Am I the only one who wonders how drama started before Facebook was... everywhere?

Seriously, I hear clients/colleagues/classmates get worked up over things on Facebook. And I sit there wondering, "What if there was no Facebook?"

   My friend posted a status talking about how someone/something was stupid DIRECTLY after talking to me
     My boyfriend wrote something suspicious/writes frequently on some chick's wall
       My coworker reported something I put on my wall and I got in trouble
         My sister told me she was sick when I saw pictures of her hanging out with friends

Before I continue, let me say for the record that I have totally overreacted to something that someone else wrote on Facebook. I can only think of 2 incidents but I will admit it has happened.

Jesus, people. It's Facebook. How seriously do you take the information you put on your Facebook? So WHY would you take something that someone else wrote more seriously? And always and forever (whether in person or via Internet):

Bitching about someone talking behind your back is in itself TALKING BEHIND THE PERSON'S BACK.

I've been on that rant a bazillion times so I'll save it for another post but in terms of Facebook, you do not need to be fighting annoying passive-aggressive bullshit with annoying passive-aggressive bullshit. That's called hypocrisy. And if we all wait for the pop (that would be the pop of your head coming out of your ass), we'd realize that hypocrisy is not really a positive characteristic or action. So when someone is talking shit or is just plain full of shit on Facebook, don't "like" it, or ignore it, or block it, or de-friend them. It really is that simple. Promise. I've done it before. It's possible. You have the technology!

I've further noticed (mainly in sessions) other things that Facebook and texting has provided our culture- nobody knows what "said," "talked," or "spoke" means anymore. Speaking, saying, or talking to someone involves moving your mouth and having sounds come out of it and the other person hears you with their ears. Wild concept, I know.

Instead of online, you may also have a conversation without speaking by Shining
So when you "spoke" to someone on Facebook or via text, you did not speak to them. That would be like seeing their picture and saying that you saw them in person. You didn't see them. You saw a picture. So why would you say that you spoke to someone when you had an online conversation? You can have a conversation without speaking.

Open a dictionary, not a new wall post.

No comments:

Post a Comment